Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Naked Pancreas Project

Reyna over at Beta Buddies started this naked meme... and I "borrowed" the format from Hallie. And if she thinks she is "vanilla", just check out our boringness. Although, Aiden is definitely the king of "nekedness" Ha!!



1. What kind on insulin management mode do you use?

Aiden is on MDI, but it is actually on One Daily Injection. One shot of 2 units of Lantus in the morning and that's it right now. But we don't know if we are just still honeymooning or what. We are kind of just waiting for the floor to drop out from under us.


2. How often do you inject/change pump sites?
We don't yet.

3. What type (s) of insulin do you use?
Lantus and occasionally Humalog to correct a high.

4. What are your basal settings ?
We don't know anything about that yet.

5. What are your correction factors ?
We don't really follow our slliding scale because it always seems to make him crash, but we have done this and it works.

1:550 (it hasn't actually been 550, but we do .5:275 and I wasn't sure if that was a correct way to put it.)
6. What are your meal ratios ?

It is usually higher at dinner time, but not enough to correct.


7. What do you do for activity and/or PE?
He has been falling low at Open Gym, but it is right at lunch time and so we usually just give him some apple juice and go to Chick Fil A. :) But other than that, it has been kind of weird, if he plays before dinner time, it has been going higher. What in the world is up with that? We thought activity always caused it to go lower. :(  That has us thrown for a loop this week.


8. How do you manage Pizza, Macaroni and Cheese, or any other "difficult to manage" foods?

Oh, how I wish he would eat more food. He is so picky, he will hardly even eat those things. But with our experience with our strict Endo in the hospital, we pretty much avoid them. And I haven't found any foods that just randomly make his bg really high yet. But we are watching. ;)

9. How do you prefer to manage your logs/data?

This is kind of funny. In the hospital, our pediatrician got us set up on a little chart that helped us record the numbers and at the time, he was on NPH and Humalog and it showed us how those doses affected his bg. We had a cute little graph at the top. So we transferred it to a big file folder, which was the biggest piece of paper I could find. When we took that into our new Endo's office, he just laughed and said that was the most interesting use for a manilla folder he had ever seen. Ha!! So we switched to excel and it seems to work for us since we don't have lots of changes.

10. What's your A1c?

August 2010 (diagnosis) - 10.0

And that's all we've had. He should get one at our next Endo appointment. I am very anxious to see what it is. I anticipate 5.84 based on his average bg's for the last 2.5 months.




6 comments:

  1. What a cutie! WOW! Honeymooning is awesome! Praying he stays that way for awhile! Glad to find your blog. I'm officially a follower now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww! He's darling! Wow- you're right. One daily injection is more vanilla than us! Maybe you're vanilla without the sprinkles!!! Ride that honeymoon, baby! We never had anything like that!
    Glad I found your blog!!! I love that verse from Jeremiah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I was just sent over from Amanda's blog. My name is Reyna from Beta Buddies. My son Joe was diagnosed 4 years ago (when he was 3).

    Holy Camoly!!! H-O-N-E-Y M-O-O-N-I-N-G!!! and some just plain "mooning" - BIG SMILES.

    I cannot even imagine just the one shot a day. I hope it last for awhile. That would be soooo nice for you guys.

    I will add you to my blogroll, so glad I found you through Amanda's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! Nice to meet you! My endo told me after Ellie (age 4) was diagnosed that children tend to actually go high if they exercise starting at 250 or higher. So far that has been the case for her (not every single time, but a lot). Ellie also goes high if she takes a nap in the afternoon and is overly tired (or sleeps really deep). I've added you to my fav's! Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Leaigh! I hopped on over to your blog from Amanda's site. I have just joined the diabetic online community after my daughter, Ellie 8yo, was diagnosed on 9/26/10.

    Sounds like Aiden's honeymoon is pretty sweet. We are in the middle of ours, but not enjoying the highs and lows so well. ;)

    Take care and post often!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Leigh! I'm glad you commented, so I could put you on my blogroll. :) I've read you before, because our little guys were diagnosed at the same time...just can't remember if I commented! Anyhoo...glad to "meet" you!!

    And wow, what a honeymoon! Adam has been on 5-6 shots a day from the beginning, but he's a bit of a carb-a-holic, so that may be why. :)

    ReplyDelete