Sunday, February 28, 2010

Happy Birthday, Mom!!


Today is my Mom's birthday (well, not technically, but close enough - she is a leap year baby!!) So Happy 14.5th Birthday, Mom!!
 Well, I don't even know where to begin... I can't even begin to thank you enough for all that you do for us. I know we don't tell you enough, but we truly appreciate everything you do.... baby sitting, ironing, cleaning, baking, sewing, washing, cooking, ironing, go-go-going, Dollar Storing, did I mention ironing?
 Just everything! I know I am missing so much. But we appreciate it all. But mostly, I appreciate it because when I hear the following poem, I think of you. Not because I know you like it (but I do know you like it) but because it is so very true of you (you can go get some kleenex... I'll wait... back? k...)


One Hundred Years From Now
by Forest Witcraft
One hundred years from now
It won't matter
What kind of car I drove
What kind of house I lived in
How much money I had in the bank
Nor what my clothes looked like
BUT
The world may be a little better
Because I was important
In the life of a child.


You have been and continue to be so important in the life of so many children. Not only just in my life, but in Emma and Aiden's life and also all of the cousins. I know that Aunt JuJu was and still is a favorite. And I know that I first thanked you for all of the BIG things that you do for us (like the ironing!!) but it is the little things that really mean the most, like...
Loving fall leaves so much that I couldn't help it but to eventually love them too. And the same with Spring daisies, tulips and daffodils, even so much that we would trapse all the way to Iowa and back in a weekend to see the tulips. And appreciating beautiful sunsets and just pretty clouds. And maybe liking chocolate a little. And burritos from Russellville. And warm cars. And KLRC on the radio. And ALWAYS stopping at lemonade stands - NO MATTER WHAT! And celebrating even the smallest holidays in a big way. And, well of course, loving Jesus!!!
But something else, isn't just that you have been important to children, but that you have been important to so many people of all ages! 
By having such a neat relationship with Nana, you have taught me to be more caring and to be more attentative to the needs of others and to be more thoughtful. By taking such good care of Aunt Mary, you are teaching me to go out of their comfort zone and do something nice for people that need the company. By being such a great nurse, you have taught me to work hard, love what I do and find ways to help others no matter what my profession. By being the Celebration-ologist, you have taught me to show others they are special and valued. By being the Just Say No lady, you taught me to be assertive and stand up for what I believe. By being the Band Booster President, you taught me... hmmm, no... I'm pretty sure you just did that to be mean to me! :) Just kidding!! You taught me to SMILE and I love that and you taught me not to give up even though it might not be fun at the time, there will be great memories and there are!


I love you, Mom!! Happy Birthday!! I am praying that the prune cake turns out edible!!!
Here are some pictures of your favorite place ever. (I just happened to have them on my computer!)



I love you!!! Thank you for EVERYTHING!!!
Happy Birthday!! 
(P.S. I hope your day is great, even though we miss Nana like crazy! We just have to remember she is celebrating YOU and YOUR birthday with Jesus and that is the coolest thing ever! Even better than winning on KLRC!!) 


1 comment:

  1. You do have an awesome Mom, Leigh!! And I think about her a lot, especially on her kinda-birthday!! She is a great person, and you have for sure turned out just like her. Hope she had a good day!!

    ReplyDelete