Friday, January 29, 2010

"The best thing"

My Nana went to heaven very early last Saturday morning. It was not at all expected. Even at 88, it was so hard to consider her "old". She never seemed old to me, even for a minute. She was absolutely FULL to the brim of life. However, she went to sleep and as Father John put it "woke up in the arms of Jesus". We are all so incredibly sad. I have heard lots of times this past week what a blessing that was for her to never have to be sick and never have to suffer and how that was probably "the best thing". But I am like my mom and I just wasn't done yet.

I think that "the best thing" would be if I would have gotten home tonight and gotten a call from her to make sure we got home safely in the weather or even if we would have just gotten home and had a message that said "Leigh-Leigh, it's Nana...well you're probably grocery shopping or at Emma's dance class, I just wanted to make sure you made it home safely...I never know the best time to call you...love you...call me". Me and mom loved it how she always tried to guess what we were doing and where we were and she always told me she never knew the best time to call me.

I think that "the best thing" would be if we were planning our tea party and making sure that we had just the right outfits and shoes and making sure that we had the perfect table cloth and little tea sets.

I think "the best thing" would be if we had another Christmas together and we could go to the mall to watch people bustle around and hopefully someone would drop their packages in front of us. That was a big joke with us. And we would have the biggest Christmas play you could imagine and would play tons of games. And of course we would get together before Christmas to make Christmas candy. I would make sure to have just the right spoon for her to mix her famous fudge. This would all be a few weeks after another one of her perfect Thanksgiving meals... with the best stuffing and gravy and the best cranberry salad that only she could make just right.

I think "the best thing" would be if she got to cruise around in her new blue Camry and go pick up Aunt Mary so they could go to Big Lots, TJ Maxx, Aldi's and Sonic. I've even run into her lately at Sam's. Technically, she ran into me. :) She was just learning how to manuever one of their electric carts. :)

I think "the best thing" would be if in a week or so I was getting one of her homemade valentine cards with a creative poem or phrase that she personally made up, written with her beautiful handwriting. It would probably have a cut out picture of her or Miss Kitty on it and stickers and she would have used lots of different colored markers.

I think that "the best thing" would be if we could take her a May Day basket on May 1 and she would chase us to give us a kiss and tell us how May Day was her favorite holiday and how she and Mary and Midge would spend weeks making their May baskets and would deliver them to their friends in a wagon.

I think "the best thing" would be if I got a Paula Deen magazine in the mail and could flip through it and then send it to her because she loved them.

I think "the best thing" would be if we could reinstitute "family soup night" because she loved for everyone to be together and to have a house full of people especially when we were playing some kind of game that she would find.

I think "the best thing" would be knowing that she was probably excited about the Super Bowl, especially since it would mean that there would probably be a party.

I think "the best thing" would be if she could make mudpies with my kids like she did with me, and if we could set up more beauty shops, and pull more taffy, and if she could come to more of the kid's lemonade stands because she was the Queen of Lemonade Stands.

I think "the best thing" would be if she could teach me to make prune cake since it is Mom's favorite and minute steaks and gravy and her chocolate sheet cake and her maple walnut candy....

But I KNOW "the best thing" is that she gets to do all of these things with Jesus! And also Granddaddy, and Lefty, Nick, Kay, Jack, Mary Elizabeth and yes, even Elvis! :) And I KNOW that "the best thing" is that someday I will get to do all of these things with her again. I will miss her so, so very much, but I am so thankful to Jesus that we do have that promise of heaven.

I love you, Nana! I will miss you everyday!!

1 comment:

  1. you trying to make me go into labor? i am just crying like a baby. that is realy sweet and i know she wishes she could do all those things with you too. love you!

    ReplyDelete